Applying for Listed Building Consent is a similar procedure when obtaining planning permission. Applicants must be able to justify their proposals and show that work on a listed building that could change the character of the building is deemed necessary.
Local Councils have been known to decline applications that don’t provide this necessary information. To help you make the right decisions here are our top tips when applying for listed building consent:
- The local conservation officer will be your most important point of contact
- There is currently no payable fee for listed building consent.
- Be detailed with your proposals and provide before and after plans.
- If you employ an agent, choose one with experience in historic buildings and sound conservation practice.
- When applying for Listed Building Consent, check if you need to also apply for planning permission.
- Planning permission requires a fee.
- Internal alterations may still require listed building consent.
- Alteration or demolition of a Grade I or Grade II* listed building may require the local council to consult English Heritage.
- A listed building consent application can take up to eight weeks to be processed but may take longer if English Heritage are involved.
- Demolition of a listed building may be referred to the Secretary of State prior to permission being granted.
- An application must be advertised on site and in the local newspaper for 21 days to allow public comment.
Take these top tips into consideration when applying for Listed Building Consent and if your listed building consent application is refused, or if it is not processed within eight weeks, you have the right of appeal to the Secretary of State. One important point to remember is that failure to get proper permission before starting any type of work can have serious implications. Without permission you may be asked to demolish the work carried out and restore the building to original state. In some cases it can also lead to prosecution. If you are in any doubt, it is best to seek qualified professional advice.
British Listed Building Surveyors are specialist Listed Building Surveyors and will help you save money. We have many years of experience surveying Grade I, Grade II* and Grade II Listed homes.
If you own a Listed Building and require listed building consent advice then free phone 0800 298 5424 today as we are always happy to give expert advice.